Cob: bedrock and cobbing, thanks!

sateague sateague at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 10 22:55:28 CDT 2002

Hey Debra, Linda and Charmaine,
thanks for your speedy replies.....
and I answer back with:

Debra - , not a festival at all, I'm afraid, but  rather the Shire of Mare
Amethystinum's  annual camping event (called Thatsa Mare-held in June). The
larger structure's construction will become an event activity next season.
Our event flyer tag line will be, 'help us build it, won't you come?'.
Hopefully, we'll get a good turnout.  Cross your fingers for us!

Linda - punch in 'straw bale' on a google search engine (and google will
translate too).  Lots of good pages out there, make sure you check out the
links section of the site, that'll give you some more leads. The straw-bale
fans are as terrific as the cobbers.  Punch in 'straw bale' at Amazon and
see what comes up (sometimes they offer two books at a reduced or used
price), not sure about videos.  But wait!  Don't stop there, you can explore
construction options by using google and punching in words like 'rubble
trench' (foundations), 'vernacular building' (tradional building styles),
'permaculture', 'ecotecture' and 'living roofs'.  Some of these things might
not apply, but I guarantee you, it'll all be interesting.

Charmaine - you go girl!  Thanks for the  roman cement info!  Another little
project we'll be doing is a container herb garden.  We'd like to make a
permanent rock garden foundation to insert the containers.  The herbs will
be available to anyone at the event (there's a lot of good cooks in the SCA)
and we'll take the containers home when it's over, that way the property
owners needn't worry about tending a garden after we're gone.  I see a cob
garden wall with roman cement statuary in our future as
well.....hum-m-m...... and maybe we could try a couple of arches....some
wattle fences.....

Thanks again!
Cobbers are good folk.
Jackie