Cob: Cob in Alaska

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Apr 15 04:13:16 CDT 2002

I don't remember if anyone got back to you so here are a few of my
comments.

Chris Richardson wrote:
>............... with mean January
> temperature of -10.7 degrees C. and mean July temperature of 14.1 degrees C.

For sure you should not apply cob during freezing weather.  After its
dried it should be alright, but I've no experience there, just if it was
a problem cob and daub wouldn't be used in areas that ever reach
sub-freezing temperatures.  However, you must not even mix and apply it
during freezing weather, and this included the weeks or more of proper
drying time.

I don't know how much solar energy you get up there, but I think not
much at that latitude to cob or not you must consider insulation on the
outside of the cob walls.  It might be better to do a timber frame
structure and then fill in between the posts with a nice thick "light
clay", which is a clay slurry with lots of straw in it stuff in forms
and patted down somewhat.  This gives a nice insulatory wall.  Some
people add a little lime into this mix.  I'd make it real thick though
where you are.  If you don't have straw, other natural fabric will work,
such as wood chunks up to a walnuts size, saw dust, nut shells, etc.
Something that contains or can contain lots of air bubbles in it.  This
is for insulation.

> Mean annual precipitation ranges from 15 to 28 inches.  Seismic activity is
> regular, but not generally destructive.
The timber framed wattle and daub cob fill or "light clay" fill might be
better for earthquake prone areas.

>  On to the part where I ask for
> free help! Here are some general questions...I have many more to ask, but
> will ration them out as I go, hopefully they will answer themselves.
>
> Can I build a masonry stove out of cob? (and expect it to last, heck can I
> expect it to work)

Yes.   From what I've read a good mixture is a clayis soil, with some
silicon sand or "diatomaceous earth" (plankton skeletons) mixed with
it.   Burn a nice hot fire in it to check it out before using it to hold
anything, like a pot of water to add some moisture to the air and for
tea.  I've never built one of these myself and the design for air in /
smoke out etc, etc, should be well designed.

> Can I build Cob on bedrock?

Build cob above places that get and stay wet, like the ground and in
contact with the ground.

> Cob and living roofs, are they compatible?

Yes, of course.

> Can I expect cob to last in my climate?
I should think so, escpecially if you only have mean annual
precipitation from 15 to 28 inches.

> What the heck do you do with greywater when the outside temp is below
> freezing?
Try having a flower bed inside the house like the earthship people do?
Freeze it and wait for summer?
How about a solar heater to keep it melted?  Can you get enough for
that.

Are you in that areas where the sun doesn't shine for several weeks?

> Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry so late to get back to you.