Cob: Cob in Alaska

Chris Richardson xpopher at rogershsa.com
Fri Apr 12 01:45:02 CDT 2002

Hello to all!  Am considering the merits of building a single family cob
home in the Matanuska-Susitna valley, Alaska.  I am very interested in
limiting the impact on the surrounding area and my wallet.  Additionally I'm
sick and tired of paying for a large house I neither need nor want.  (Oh,
the neighbors are too close as well.)  I don't have to worry (too much)
about codes, as there don't seem to be any where I want to build.  Climate
is transitional maritime-continental (whatever that means) with mean January
temperature of -10.7 degrees C. and mean July temperature of 14.1 degrees C.
Mean annual precipitation ranges from 15 to 28 inches.  Seismic activity is
regular, but not generally destructive.   On to the part where I ask for
free help! Here are some general questions...I have many more to ask, but
will ration them out as I go, hopefully they will answer themselves.

Can I build a masonry stove out of cob? (and expect it to last, heck can I
expect it to work)

Can I build Cob on bedrock?

Cob and living roofs, are they compatible?

Can I expect cob to last in my climate?

What the heck do you do with greywater when the outside temp is below
freezing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris Richardson
xpopher at rogershsaX.com