Cob: RE: Augmentation to, or the replacement of CLAY as a component of COB, or UNFIRED EARTHEN MASONRY.

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Tue Apr 16 10:35:17 CDT 2002

Hey Bill, had no clue as to the definition of clay etc, so figured I'd post it to the listserve to see what response we could get.
Sounds interesting however.

Pat newberry
www.gypsyfarm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill&Julie [mailto:wbates at mn.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 9:39 AM
To: Patrick Newberry
Subject: Re: RE: RE: where to get clay and straw

Subject: Augmentation to, or the replacement of CLAY as a component of COB, or UNFIRED EARTHEN MASONRY.

I propose that the Dust that is washed by air scrubbers at a Nonmetallic Mineral Processing Plant, such as in an Asphalt or Concrete Plant, be used to augment or replace the clay component in COB or UNFIRED EARTH MASONRY construction.

Date April 8, 2002

Dear PAT,

The above is what I sent to myself.

I work for a road construction company, and in the course of my work I have to hull this fugitive dust to the land fill. At the asphalt plant they use air scrubbers to eliminate the air born dust problem. The water is pumped through a settling tank before it is recycled through the system. When the tank reaches it's capacity we hull the mud to the land fill.

The consistency of this material is more like pug mill ground clay.

Where do I find the definition of what clay is?

If I were to do a water born settling test to separate the different sizes of the particles, would that help me to codify the material as clay?

After hulling my first batch, I did not get the dump truck box cleaned out well enough.

And the heat from the asphalt baked the clay as hard as concrete. It was the rest of the year before I got the stuff scraped out. It bonded to the smooth steel sides of the box as though it were epoxy.

I just thought of a variable in the process. And that would be the type of rock used in the making of asphalt. We use "red rock" in our mix, It is crushed RED GRANITE. And also "Class 5 Gravel". 40% to 60%

Air born dust is still dust. But the kind of material it comes from and what percentages, may be of importance.

Thank you for giving my ideas some thought.

Bill

[#]