Cob: Re: lime in cob

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Apr 17 10:47:06 CDT 2002

Then why do some cobbers add lime to the mix?  wouldn't that negatively
affect the bonding ability?  -Gabriel Everhart

No Gabe,,,it stops the bonds to WATER swelling/cracking, NOT bonding to
itself.  And lime in cob will make a low level, harder "cement" than
clay alone- often called stabilized.   Lime in clay may cause "dusty"
top surfaces I have heard...but I have not used it in finish plasters so
I can't say.

anyone have results to report?

and PS my email on clay sizes was packed with typos--I am so sorry- I
have GOT to run spell check!!

 Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com