[Fwd: Cob:] Smelly earthen floor

Barbara Roemer barbandg at onemain.com
Thu Apr 18 16:15:55 CDT 2002

Hi cobbers,

Thanks for your in absentia defense, Frances.  I had responded with thanks
to Darel for the info, and the explanation you made.  We do not have the
frames made yet for the windows, and so they are triple glazed with bubble
pack for our cold winter.  We have no toilet, sink, or shower yet, and when
we bathe, we're exceedingly careful not to get water on the floor.

The floor is not as smelly today as the humidity has dropped below 95%, and
I did receive helpful info about using grapefruit seed oil.

I find it interesting that Japanese builders intentionally use straw and let
it ferment in the floors.  Wonder why?  Whatever ferments I prefer to be
potable, but this isn't in the same realm.  As for common sense, I'm afraid
I have plenty, and hope to spend more of my life with my feet off the
ground.

Thanks to my friend Royce for forwarding my message to you cobbers: I'll
join you as I have time (I have some experience with cob).  Royce and his
family were of great help last week when our six family workgroup did the
floor.

Barbara
Nevada City, California