Cob: RE: Re: foundations, tree roots

billc_lists at greenbuilder.com billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sat May 4 01:55:36 CDT 2002

>  > Thanks, Rick, for sharing your experience.  You said the
>"circumference"
>>  is 10-12 feet?  Did you mean the diameter because if the circumference
>>  was 12 feet, then the diameter would be about 4ft or about 48in.
>
>I meant circumference. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the
>rule. (Doh!) Even so, if we're talking 1" to every 1' in diameter that
>would put the recommendation the builder keep the foundation 48' away
>from the tree. If you want to use the trees as partial shade for the
>house, you would give up a great deal of that benefit by moving the
>house so far away I would surmise.
>
>Also, I think that perhaps the roots *are* underneath this house but
>this particular building is pier and beam (an addition to the old rock
>portion of the house) and rubble trench for the rock portion of the
>house. Thus, perhaps the roots are going to cause minimal interference
>since there isn't a great deal of area for them to disrupt.
>
>Rick

One of the beauties of rubble trench foundations is that they can
accommodate movment below them better than a poured concrete beam or
slab.  That's why they're favored in climates with a lot of frost
heave - a little pressure here and there from roots or freezing soil
will move a bit of the rubble near the edge, but the majority of it
will stay where it is.

With a continuous, relatively unbending beam (concrete, wood,
whatever), if you apply pressure at one point you will affect the
whole length of the beam.

We've all seen what happens when you pour a concrete sidewalk over a
large tree's roots - eventually, the growing roots push the sidewalk
up.   You definitely don't want that happening on a house -
therefore, to protect both the house and the tree, the recommendation
to stay outside the dripline is generally pretty wise.  I hadn't
heard the 1" to 1' rule before, and suspect that it'll tend to break
down outside of a certain range of tree types and sizes.  Your oaks
may be exceptions to that rule.

Your shallow soils and limestone bedrock, along with the growth
patterns of live oaks in general, means a fair bit of shallow root
system.  If you were building there today you would be very well
advised to stay out of the dripline with all construction equipment
and activity in order to keep from compacting the soil and causing
the phenomenon known around here as "Builder's Blight", where trees
that appeared perfectly healthy at move-in "inexplicably" die a few
years later.  Most trees can tolerate a little bit of root pruning,
but extensive soil compaction around shallow-rooted trees, though
less visible, will do a lot more damage.

I suspect that in 1890 the heaviest equipment they used was probably
a horse and wagon, as opposed to today's multi-ton construction
vehicles and equipment.

It is also true that building outside the dripline often means losing
out on shading, especially with relatively short trees such as live
oaks.  Given a choice between a living 500 year old live oak and the
shade from a dead one, the choice is pretty clear - use some other
means of reducing solar gain.
--
Bill Christensen
billc at greenbuilder.com