Cob: very basic questions

Ann Scott littleboat at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 27 07:25:48 CDT 2002

Hello!

I've looked thru the archives and website in hopes I wouldn't pester the
list but can't find the info I'm seeking so I send my questions to the list.
I'm so new to this that I also haven't had time to buy a book re this yet
either.

What kind of land is best to build on?  Stoney, clay, etc?  I saw a
discussion that involved this and am actually looking for land that is
basically rock covered with a dusting of dirt.

In the basic q&a on the website I read about the importance of not rushing
the construction.  I completely understand this.  However, I am curious
about the average time it takes to build a cob house.  Can it be done in a
summer?  2 months, 3?  The work crew on this will mostly just be me, but I'm
confident I can entice some friends to help (once word gets out that I'm
doing this I'll probably have too many volunteers !)

Lastly, I'm interested in putting on a raised seam tin roof on all or at
least part of the structure.  Any thoughts on this?  I love the sound of
rain on a tin roof but it also seems very practical in adding extra
water-shielding to the walls.  I really like the big overhangs and probably
would make my overhangs even a bit larger.

Thanks for your patience with these incredibly basic questions and I'm
grateful for your advice/help.
"Deep in their roots all flowers hold the light"  Roethke

Ann Scott