Cob: very basic questions

IBXeri at aol.com IBXeri at aol.com
Sun Apr 28 22:16:25 CDT 2002

In a message dated 4/27/02 8:07:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
littleboat at earthlink.net writes:

> I am curious
> about the average time it takes to build a cob house.  Can it be done in a
> summer?  2 months, 3?  The work crew on this will mostly just be me, but
> I'm
> confident I can entice some friends to help

Others here are much better qualified to answer your question  but in case it
slips through I'll take a stab at it.
Time will depend on how much help and size of the cob house.I have seen it
posted that you can build at about a maximum of about a foot per day.There
are limits on how high fresh cob can be "stacked".
  I suggest you try making a batch of cob and laying it like you intend to
build your wall.Try and see how high you can get your test wall.
If you time yourself you should get a ball park figure of how long it will
take in manhours for what you have in mind remembering that even if a hundred
people show up to help the wall can only be built so high in one day.
   I also really enjoy rain on a metal roof.Best of luck and keep us informed
how your project goes.
   Al