Cob: very basic questions

dtebb dtebb at alternatives.com
Mon Apr 29 04:11:36 CDT 2002

Hi Ann,

A few thoughts.

>What kind of land is best to build on?  Stoney, clay, etc?  I saw a
>discussion that involved this and am actually looking for land that is
>basically rock covered with a dusting of dirt.

Building with cob is really no different than most any other type building
as to where you can build. As long as you are building on solid, well
drained land. One principal to keep in mind is to place the house on the
least desirable land. Obviously save the most fertile land for growing
food. The ugly land then becomes transformed into a beautiful place by your
new beautiful cob house.

>In the basic q&a on the website I read about the importance of not rushing
>the construction.  I completely understand this.  However, I am curious
>about the average time it takes to build a cob house.  Can it be done in a
>summer?  2 months, 3?  The work crew on this will mostly just be me, but I'm
>confident I can entice some friends to help (once word gets out that I'm
>doing this I'll probably have too many volunteers !)

This is a difficult question to answer. There are many variables. Much
depends on the size of your house. I have worked on a few projects and
built a very small cob guest house in my back yard. From my experience, and
I am a perfectionist, cob building takes time. If you are mostly by
yourself, keep it small, like 200 - 400 sq ft perhaps. If you worked
everyday, full days and are very strong, you might be able to get much of
the work done in 1 summer (4months) and do the finishing work the following
year. Part time work could take 2 or 3 summers again depending on how much
help you get. But to be on the safe side, and to save your body possible
strain, I would really but the effort into advertising your project. There
are alot of people that are looking for experience. Get as much help as
possible. Usually things take longer than planned.

>Lastly, I'm interested in putting on a raised seam tin roof on all or at
>least part of the structure.  Any thoughts on this?  I love the sound of
>rain on a tin roof but it also seems very practical in adding extra
>water-shielding to the walls.  I really like the big overhangs and probably
>would make my overhangs even a bit larger.

Give yourself at least two ft. overhangs depending on exposure and amount
of rainfall and wind in your location

Good luck

Ian Marcuse