Cob: Kind of a cob

Matthew HALL(SED) M.Hall at shu.ac.uk
Thu May 23 08:37:03 CDT 2002

henman at it.to-be.co.jp writes:
>Hair sounds good.  I remember Charmaine mentioned that it was used in
>earthen plasters.
>Maybe for a larger project to to a beauty parlor (beauty college) or a
>dog barber, for materials
>
>Ripped up gunny sacks or old fibre ropes  (burlap, hemp, jute) should
>work as well I think.
Apparently, wiring looms from old electrical equipment, car stereos etc is an abundant waste
product with little or no use. I'm sure plastic sheathed copper cable could make quite a good fibre
reinforcement for earth buildings. Not exactly natural, i know, but sometimes the greenest thing is
to use the cheapest and most easily available material. We cannot undo what we have done in terms
of pollution and waste and so we may as well make use of what we have.

Great article on the Indian bousillage by the way, i found it very interesting thanks for sharing
it.
Regards
Matthew

Matthew Hall BSc (Hons) GradBEng