Cob: A question from Ireland

The Hollies thehollies at eircom.net
Thu May 30 16:42:55 CDT 2002

Hello, I am about to build a cob house in Ireland, where the practice of cob
building died out over 100 years ago (although some do remain from then).  I
have done a fair bit of cobbing using tarp mixing, but for a large house I
would like to know if anyone out there has used machines to mix large
amounts and what kind of machines people have used?  I have heard of using a
bobcat to mix with the tyres, but are there other ideas and if ready built
cob machines exist where do you get one or are there plans for them so you
can get one made?

Yours, in hope of not having to spend 3 years on a tarpaulin,
Rob Hopkins
PS. You can see some of what we already built at www.theholliesonline.com.
Thank you very much