Cob: Machine mixing methods.

SANCO Enterprises, LLC chansey at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 10 22:41:30 CDT 2002

Darel, Ryan and others,

When it comes to mixing, most any type of mixing device works well until you
add the straw component--then the challenges begin.  Paddle type mixers
(concrete or plaster) work well to mix cob material when short length straw
is utilized.  When long straw (as most cobbers prefer) is added, the straw
becomes tangled in the paddles and very little mixing is accomplished.  For
these mixers, best practice is to mix the cob soil without straw and then
add the straw as you make cob balls or mix it with your feet.  Still saves a
lot of work

The roto-tiller is great for breaking up the soil, but a lousy mixer when
the material is wet and even worse when you add straw.  It will take two
strong individuals just to pull it from the mud.   Not for the purist, but
mixing with equipment such as a loader or Bobcat in a pit is an alternative
that works well if you want to mix a couple of yards of cob at a time.

Although mechanical, the best bulk mixing method is to use a pug mill on a
very slight incline.  You can initially allow the first stage to mix the
soil and water component then add straw (short or long) in the second or
third stage.  After the mud is mixed, adding the straw is just a matter of
folding it into the mix.  The best part is that it is a continuous mixing
operation.  The amount of water is critical in all mixing methods, even with
a pug.  Less water means a heavy dense mix that is gummy and sticks to
everything.  Too much water and you have a wet sloppy mix that may even
separate the materials.

SANCO Enterprises, LLC
Paul Salas, General Manager
P.O. Box 45741