Cob: foundation idea

Miranda Sterling miranda at clearlightsoap.com
Fri Jun 14 21:46:47 CDT 2002

Robynn,

Will you be building anytime real soon?  I'd love to hear your experiences,
if you would.

The ground around here is mostly chunks of pre-compressed limestone.  I
mean, digging is extremely difficult below two or three inches--you're only
prying up rocks.  Not much topsoil in most places.  I'm wondering how much
of a foundation do  I actually need?  We hardly ever have freezes that last
for more than a day or two, though every few winters, there are longer ones.

To excavate enough to lay in the bottom trench, I'd probably need one of
those huge rock saws I see driving along the road.  Looks like a chainsaw,
only as long as a man.  That's the tool that is used to cut the trenches
for the septic tanks around here--no sewage system in this town.  This is
the reason septic is so darned expensive here.

Miranda