Cob: the rest of the Flooded Cob story

billc_lists at greenbuilder.com billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Thu Jul 11 23:45:09 CDT 2002

(oops.  meant to send this to the whole list.  Sorry about the
duplicate, Ocean!)

What I know about it:

The project was at Rainbow Ranch, just south of Austin TX.  The
property is owned by a local enviro nonprofit, if I remember
correctly.  For those of you who have never experienced a flood in
Texas, they're pretty dang impressive and we've had several "100 year
floods" in the past decade.  Suburbanization?  Global Warming?  Bad
calculations of the100 year flood plain?  Hard to say, probably a
combination.   The most impressive in recent memory was 7" of rain in
one hour, dumped in an urban watershed in 1980.  There were many
floating cars that day.

The two people I know of who were directly involved in organizing the
construction of the demonstration cob building were (Dr.) Yvonne
Hansen (yvonhansen at yahoo.com) and architect Gayle Borst
(gayle at stewardshiparchitecture.com), should anyone want to research
it further.

I suspect that the owners of the property were the ones who insisted
on that location. Both Yvonne and Gayle usually have better sense
than that, IMHO.

--
Bill Christensen
billc at greenbuilder.com