Cob: the rest of the Flooded Cob story

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Wed Jul 10 00:11:25 CDT 2002

This turns out to be one of Ianto's favorite morality tales:

The person asked Ianto to build the house, but he said that they
shouldn't build in the floodplain.  The person insisted, saying it was
only a "hundred-year-flood".  So reluctantly Ianto helped them build a
beautiful cob house, which Ianto still includes pictures of in his
slideshows.  Well, the next year along came the hundred year flood!
Away went the cob house!  Ianto sometimes includes the "after" pictures
in his show, and it's not pretty.

Turns out I'm in a similar situation here with the restaurant!  We are
in the Willamette River floodplain, and locals remember VW buses
floating down Highway 99 back in the great flood of the 1970's.  But
here we just have a garden wall which might fail, and which we can also
rebuild even though it's 130 feet long.  Repairing the restaurant after
a flood is another story!

Ocean