heat was Cob: Oklahoma thoughts and concerns

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Wed Aug 7 14:00:10 CDT 2002

While I have planned on doing a wonder graph, measuring the temps outside and in over a period of time etc,
I've not accomplished that goal yet.
I did manage to find one themometer and measured the temp differences on one day around noon and even then failed to write
down the actual numbers. But what I observed was it was about 10 degrees cooler inside during the day,
and it was about 10 degrees warmer inside during the night. Thus at night, it did feel warmer than outside,
but not stagging like in a trailer at noon in the sun. A trailer at noon, in the sun, with no AC is like an
oven, way hotter than outside. My cob home is hot, but actually a bit cooler than outside. Thus my cob house does not exceed the highest temperatures nor does it exceed the low temperatures.

As far as soil compaction goes,  in my case at least, that was not a problem due to how slowly I have been building.
When you build slow, the structure has more than enough time to settle on it's own.
Yea, don't laugh but I'm now on my 5th year. I mean I've worked, then stopped working then back again over several
times, and even when I'm working don't put in more that 16 hours a week. I mean it's livable now, or at least
by my loose standards, but hey I have hot water, can cook and yes even poop inside. I can keep beer cold, but
my wringer washer machine is outside however so that means not much washing gets done in the rain. Of course
one could just put on the dirty cloths, run around in the rain and they'd be washed. Their is a dryer inside,
but I prefer to hang the cloths on the line. Yea, I'd say it's livable.

I have a screen in porch now and that helps a lot with the heat. In the evening, sitting on the porch is a time
honored tradition.

Love and Light
Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com