Cob: Intro and humidity in cool climates

yew yew at premier1.net
Thu Aug 8 14:20:18 CDT 2002

I recently joined the list.  My husband and I are interested in alternative
building options suited to our climate in the maritime Pacific Northwest.

While there's been much discussion on humidity in warm climates, I'm curious
about the effects of humidity in cool climates.  During the winter we get
plenty of rain (30+ inches here during the 6 really humid months) and high
humidity pretty much all season long.  A few years ago, we lived in a small,
poorly insulated farmhouse and discovered firsthand what interior humidity can
do.  Mold and mildew on the lower parts of the walls were a real problem,
mostly due to our poorly ventilated bathroom shower.  While we can remedy the
ventilation problem (for the most part), it's almost impossible to keep
interior humidity levels low without a dehumidifier.

Because our winters are so wet and ventilation is trickier during the cool
months, I'd like to know how cob stands up to that kind of abuse.  Should we
consider keeping our bathing (and perhaps even our cooking) in separate
quarters from our living area?

Thanks,
Brina