Cob: Intro and humidity in cool climates

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Aug 8 23:48:55 CDT 2002

Brina,

yew wrote:

>  Should we
> consider keeping our bathing (and perhaps even our cooking) in separate
> quarters from our living area?
>
> Thanks,
> Brina

Concrete and tile bathrooms, that I've seen, even in dry areas like the
Sacromento valley, always get moldy.  It was a once a year thing to
scrub it off, I recall.

I don't have data for bath rooms, but I think a good solid cob wall with
possibly a breathable treatment or without would hold up well, if you
have windows and natural ventilation.  Cross ventilation would be best
(windows on either side or vents on either side).

I am considering having the bathing slightly seperated from the house
for different reason, however.
That reason being that I want the hotter bathing room not to heat the
living areas during the summer.

You probably don't have this problem along the coast.

Darel