Cob: Intro and humidity in cool climates

yew yew at premier1.net
Fri Aug 9 01:16:20 CDT 2002

From: Darel Henman

>Cross ventilation would be best
>(windows on either side or vents on either side).

In answer to the question of where I live, it's near Arlington, Washington.

I understand what you're saying, but opening a window in the winter where I
live only serves to make the walls in the bathroom cold, causing water vapor
to condense further.  Maybe this doesn't happen with a permeable wall, but
overall "just opening the windows" doesn't cut it here.  Besides, the
humidity outside usually stays between 80 and 100% for much of the winter
(and spring and fall), so exactly how does letting outside air into the room
help?  I grew up north of Sacramento (Willows), and we never had problems
with condensation because it was pretty much always warm (daytime temps
above 50 degrees F) and sunny enough during the day to air things out once
in a while.  Here it's almost never warm or sunny during the winter.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm arguing with your theories, but it's pretty
tough for most people to understand the unique challenges of this climate.
This isn't like the coast in California, where the average daytime highs are
much warmer during the winter.  It's much cooler here.

I'd like to hear more about the building on the Olympic Peninsula.  The
climate there is a lot more like mine than further south on the coast.  Does
anyone know how this building has fared?

Brina