Cob: Cold Temps

baco@pacinfo baco at pacinfo.com
Mon Aug 12 11:48:33 CDT 2002

Fair enough Ocean!

Who am I?

Brian Bray
790 Larch St.
Eugene, OR 97405

I am not an engineer and have not constructed anything of cob. My interest
in the subject stems from the fact that I would like to build a special
space for my family.

What and who am I referring to in my earlier mention of structural issues? I
will not say, as it is not my intention to embarrass or confront anyone.

The specific problem that I saw was a lofted structure. The main support for
the loft area had less support on one end than I would have chosen to use.
It was also not tied in as well as it might have been and was missing a
gusset that it was notched for. Maybe it will hang there for a thousand
years, I don't know. My problem is that the builder does not know either and
almost makes a study of not talking engineering.

I see that I have touched a nerve, and that is really the subject here. Is
the almost anti-engineering aspect found in the natural building movement
cause for concern? Could it lead to injuries that could be avoided by
learning from the engineering experience of modern western construction?

I keep hearing about natural structures that are hundreds of years old, but
lets talk about the news stories of earthquakes in third world nations,
stories with video of a pile of rubble where a whole village stood, and
wailing mothers digging for the bodies of their families.

My opinion is that due diligence requires us to use whatever tools are
available to ensure safety.

Moreover, as this building movement gets wings, and I think that it is
getting wings, we will see even more backlash from the
construction-industrial complex. The more building that happens, the more
likelihood that there will be a structural failure that could have been
averted. After that, forces opposing alternative construction will have
something to hang their hardhats on.

I am not advocating regulation or making a claim that cob is inherently
unsafe, just asking for more information of a scientific nature to augment
the anecdotal.

Thank you- BB