Cob: Re: New cob book (The Book)

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Wed Aug 14 02:21:49 CDT 2002

Dear Snakedancer, Leslie and Darel, and all other coblist seekers in The
Movement,

A few comments, sure to start a firestorm of philosophical debate...let
the games begin!

I have just received the Cob Cottage Company's new primer on cob, "The
Hand Sculpted House" (which I will hereafter refer to as "The Book") and
believe it is the most comprehensive and well written work on the
subject so far.  The Book covers the practical "how-to"s in far more
depth than the previous "Cobber's Companion", and should, as Cob Cottage
wrote The Book in a collaborative effort over the several years which
followed their earlier book.  We in fact love The Book so much we are
featuring it and selling it through our cob restaurant
(www.intabas.com - sorry for the commercial message, it's habit by now)

So, Snakedancer, if you want to buy just ONE definitive book on cob,
I'll say, THIS IS IT, buy The Book!

Now, Darel, regarding your nasty reaction (aka tantrum) to a SINGLE
word - "philosophy" - in the title and blurb about The Book, which you
felt warranted SLAMMING a piece of work you haven't even browsed, let
alone read, and which aforementioned nasty reaction (aka tantrum) you
felt was so appropriate that you shared it with a whole listserv of
folks who are dedicated to the OPEN-MINDED SHARING of information on cob
building...if this is the way you feel, please REMOVE yourself from our
list!  I mean, you are so CLUELESS!

Phew, having gotten that off my chest, let me try to be "objective".
After all, much of what we explore here and in other non-internet
natural building forums has a very philosophical basis.  Here's what
I've perceived from my few (but lengthy) interactions with Ianto and
Linda, and many others in the cob movement (hereafter referred to as
"The Movement"):

1. Cob is an art, a way of life, an alternative, in fact a radical way
of building, and being such it requires a philosophy to support and
justify taking such an extreme diversion from convention.  In a society
as "dirt-o-phobic" as ours, how else are we going to justify building
our homes out of it!

2. Moreover, Ianto and Linda share an agenda to which I wholeheartedly
subscribe, that of simplifying our lifestyles to as great a degree as
possible, so as to lessen the destructive impact we Westerners have on
our planetary ecosystem and thus on the lifestyles of everyone else.

3. Many ("most"?) of the alternative building folks who I've met in The
Movement also share this philosophical motivation, and are not just
drawn to cob because it's cool, or beautiful, or fun, or cheap...though
all those reasons are also very important.  Cob is COOL and beautiful
and fun and CHEAP!  There's more...

4. Ianto and Linda also teach cob building from a LIBERATION
perspective, which is necessary in order to live more simply.  This
perspective is entirely PRACTICAL as well as philosophical:  "Most"
Americans are inevitably burdened by a system of institutional building
practice and real estate ownership, which manifests in the "30-Year
Mortgage" (hear: ominous music of doom and gloom!)

5. Simply put, we purveyors (and victims) of the American Dream who are
"lucky" enough to "own" a home, will in fact spend "most" of our lives
slaving in unsatisfying jobs AWAY from our homes, trying to earn
enough $$$ to pay off the home which we will VISIT every night and every
weekend until eventually we retire, sell the home off to cruise the
country in a Winnebago or give all the $$$ to our nursing home...seems
the American Dream has become the American Nightmare!  And we haven't
even talked about the larger majority who is trapped "renting" homes
from landlords!

6.  But let's look at the 30-Year-Mortgage again:  The amount of
interest compounded and paid over 30 years often surpasses the value of
the home itself!  Who profits?  The bank, the corporate lender, the
owning class...a very small minority profits obscenely from labor of the
majority.  (Hey, isn't this Marxism? Eek, PHILOSOPHY again!)

7. Ianto and Linda and "most" leaders in The Movement see cob building
as an ideal way to break free from the yoke of this oppression.  We can
build a home for, say $10,000, and then still have the REST OF OUR LIVES
to live in it!  This is a philosophy of liberation is discussed
beautifully in The Book, complete with cute cartoons to illustrate the
burden of 30 years of "interest" and a liberated person (cobbie) hopping
and skipping in delight!

So, I'd recommend The Book to anyone and everyone.  I also have no
problem giving credit where due to the Cob Cottage Company as the
foremost leaders and founders of The Movement.  Sorry, Darel, but we
natural builders of The Movement share a powerful pragmatism and one of
the most egalitarian visions (read: philosophy) that I've ever seen:
FREEDOM, JUSTICE and HOUSING for all!

Cob On!
Ocean