Cob: slate-crete-a costly commercial version

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Aug 14 19:38:20 CDT 2002

 http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/exteriors/article/0,13422,219400,00.html

Return to the slate-crete idea ( forming a low cost base under thin slates
to support &, insulate  as flooring):
Well what do ya' know...here I am thinking I can be clever and make a
strong, insulated slate floor by using a fibercrete "bed" underneath the
1/4"  real slates I got for $2.50  each as posted in a pervious email....
.when I spy an article in This Old House online about KITS that come with
the polystyrene insulation glued onto them for $7.50 a sq. ft.....  so in
essence  I did the same thing!!

at far less cost.   nice to see validation...true, theirs uses a
commercial, un- natural plastic offgassing  insulation, and true there is
no work involved in theirs, just buy em' and slap em' down, but a almost 3
times the final  cost  of mine I am really happy to play" mud pies" and
bed the slates in the fibercrete!

read the article at the link above.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten CA 95534
books at dirtcheapbuilder.com