Cob: Re: Cob

Howard ecoarchitech at directvinternet.com
Wed Aug 21 08:16:45 CDT 2002

Darel Henman wrote:

> To get back to the subject of cob as a building material.
>
> All buildings make of whatever materials have to be maintained.

You have touched on the secret to having a building that lasts, it must maintained.
In this throw away culture we live in maintenance is usually deferred to the next
owner at best.

> I've not yet seen much written about what goes wrong with cob and how
> repairs and maintenance should or could be performed.

Actually some of the first material I read about cob was from the Devon Historic
Building Trust on repair and maintenance of cob buildings.  Also, I suppose because
Devon has mandated that new construction be of the traditional style, the Devon
Earth building Association also has material on the subject.  It is all very
straight forward and Cob Cottage used to make them available, perhaps they still do.

--
Howard Switzer

"There is no way to peace, peace is the way"  AJM