Cob: Re: Cob

David Knowlton pilot1ab80 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 13:35:12 CDT 2002

Darel,

Great thought! I just completed my first self designed and built project: a
23' x 15' shed with a 10' clearance, to put a gyrocopter in. the building is
not cob, but uses pressure treated wood, base, regular wood frame, and
pressure treated plywood - metal roof. i discovered after i built that PT
plywood is not waterproof! oops. I had to seal and paint the whole
structure. i also have to sweep around it constantly. it is slightly below
grade and if leaves and dirt settle it will rot in a heartbeat here in wet
Tampa.

What does this have to do with Cob?  Even 'standard' construction
necessitates maintenance. it's all a trade off. maybe my next project will
be cob