Cob: Allergies

franceslouise wilson franceslouise11 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 25 00:51:24 CDT 2002

Dear Fellow Cobbers,

I have been thinking about this for quite some time, but had not decided to
post anything about it until speaking with a woman who lives close to me
here in Kansas.

As I have aged, my allergies have increasingly become more acute.  I find
that I am allegic to literally dozens of substances, that I had not been
allergic to previously.

I would like to know if a Cob residence would be better suited for someone
like me, who is becoming environmentally allergic.  I have found that fumes
from pvc, insulation, and paint can make me become violently ill, and that
migraine headaches usually are part of the illness.  Since cob buildings are
made from natural substances--clay, sand, straw--I felt that this may be the
answer to my prayer for a chemical free home.

For those of you lucky enough to already be living in your cob home, I would
like to have some feedback about how it's affected your health--positively
or negatively.  Thanks so much!

Frances