Cob: organic materials for earthen plaster ???

jenniferponder at earthlink.net jenniferponder at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 28 07:09:44 CDT 2002

Interesting...I don't know what happens when you
use organic matter in the plaster mix, but something to note is that the items
you are referring to are all primarily protein(which I think is impt. as
proteins break down slowly).  As with any chemical brew, each ingredient
has specific properites that change the mix.

I've studied a bit of art history and done a
little research into making my own paints.  I have recipies for water
colors and tempras that organic ingredients such as:

egg

ox gall

gum(eg. gum arabic)

gycerine

Gum arabic and egg are both used as carriers for
the pigment or sovlents.

Ox gall(not to be confused with blood) is used to
break water surface tension and makes water colors "flow" better.

Gycerine is used to retard drying--both tempra
and watercolor are know for fast drying speed.

I know nothing of Ox blood--couldn't find it in
my book.  I know that tempra has great longevity--there are egg tempras
which are pretty and vibrant after 100s of years.  Oil darkens with
age.  As for the decay rate of the organics, don't know.  Keeping dry
is better for works of art...so...may not be advisable to use some additives in
places that are moist.

On another note, Bioshield makes a new clay
paint(no VOCs) that's worth checking out:

http://www.bioshieldpaint.com/