FW: RE: Cob: Allergies

jenniferponder at earthlink.net jenniferponder at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 27 05:27:26 CDT 2002

Having trouble posting....trying
again

----- Original Message -----

To: coblist at deatech.com

Sent: 8/26/02 11:33:44 AM

Subject: RE: Cob: Allergies

Hi,

I've been part of this cob list for a while and never
posted.  I also am chemically sensitive and am trying to solve my housing
delimna.  I've read of two people with this illness who've built cob
houses.  One has a home in CA and is trying to sell it, but also arranges
tours of the place.  The website to check that out is:  www.northcoast.com/~tms/cobhouse.html

The other place I heard about an chemically sensitive person
living in a cob house was in an article from Natural Home.  (This is a
great magazine by the way for those of us interested in less toxic living.
Plus, what might interest you Ms. Wilson is that there is an advice columnist
working for them that is chemically sensitive--Deborah Lynn Dadd.  She is
very knowledgeable and has written several good books for the chemically
ill.)

The article to which I'm referring was in May/June 2002 issue
on page 40 titled "Casa Natura." Casa Narura is both a home and a shop.
You can visit it at 544-A Agua Fria, Santa Fe, NM.  Phone (877) 650-1600 or
website:  www.casanaturainc.com

Natural Home has had several articles on cob houses that are
interesting...I think that there was even one recently about the founder of the
cob cottage co.  You might try writing the magazine for
information.

Personally, I'm drifting away from the idea of using
cob.  I'm very allergic to molds and I'm concerned that the wet clay and
straw will grow some before they dry.  I know already that I'm highly
allergic to the molds that grow on hay and have to avoid them completely, so I
don't know if I can handle straw.  I'm concerned that I might not be able
to complete the construction of cob myself--which is what I want.
Anywho, I've not given up on cob completely, but need to attend a cob
construction and finished home to be certain of my tolerance of the
stuff.

I'm now considering a construction technique that is similar
to cob in principle, uses some old school military knowledge, but a variation on
a new construction technique.  I'm considering building a house out of sand
bags...similar to the earthbag idea except not using plastic bags which can
possibly make me sick as they break down and release ethylene or other petroleum
ickypoos.  The dryness of the bags will keep down mold during
construction.  The sand bags, if the walls get flooded, won't
collapse and hopefully won't mold and make my house intolerable to me.  The
mix of clay and gravel will be roughly the mixture for cob but won't contain
straw.  I have a quarry or two in my area and want to use quarry finds
to fill my bags.

Anywho, these are my thoughts now.  I'm not ready to
build yet and have no land to experiment on--I will build an experimental
"storage shed" before I attempt any house with this idea.  Also, I still
need to put the research into it.  I need to discuss my ideas with
architects and engineers or learn the knowledge to necessary to make an
educated assessment of my design myself.

Another construction idea which looked promising for the
chemically sensitive was formed earth construction, but unless you are
financially well off it is way too expensive to be feasible.

well hope my theorizing is helpful to you--please remember
that it is just theorizing and not experienced ideas.

:)