Cob: Rubble Trench Foundation

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 15 19:29:13 CDT 2002

Have you looked at the new cob book--Ianto Evans et al?  He's got a LOT to
say about drains and foundations (in a word, YES!!!, and put a swale and
drains behind the building as well, all taken to daylight!).  It's across
the room, and I'm not sure I could summarize well anyway.  Seems like the rt
foundation should be, all the way up, about the width of your wall, i.e., no
footing.  But don't go building it that way on my say-so.

Spencer Perlman wrote:

Should the rubble be tamped or is compaction a non issue with this sort of
foundation?  Also, we are considering putting a drain at the bottom of the
footing, any suggestions for this task (materials, methods?)