Cob: Using bamboo for daub

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Sep 17 01:36:07 CDT 2002

I managed to isolate pictures only for examples of bamboo use in
Japanese wattle and daub for the wattle.

Thought you all might enjoy seeing how it is done.

Regards,
  Darel

-------------------
John and all,
  here is an example of bamboo (if large its ripped lengthwise into 6ths
or to the right size for the lath matrix.   Here is an example.  It is
still used in Japan for high class homes, country side tradionalists,
and in preserving old buildings.
Picture of splitting large diameter bamboo culms:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Hanamizuki/3532/205-5.JPG

See pictures of bamboo lath.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Hanamizuki/3532/202-4.jpg

http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Hanamizuki/3532/205-2.JPG
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Hanamizuki/3532/207-10.JPG

another picture of bamboo lath matrix only:
http://www02.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/sa2/kazu1958/graphics/komai6.jpg

Picture of bamboo lath with part of one side daubed.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Hanamizuki/3532/200-0.JPG

Another with one side daubed:
http://www02.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/sa2/kazu1958/graphics/katakabe7.jpg

Picture of all of one side daubed:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Hanamizuki/3532/202-10.JPG

This is one of my favorite applications with wattle and daub, Japanese
style.  It is where a part of the wall is not painted and instead a
pattern of bamboo is seen.  For some cases the woven bamboo wattle lath
is left just as is an a round or other shape left open for air to come
through.  In some cases a simple half wall is made, or just a center
wall with no bottom and no top, just a center portion mud plastered with
legs holding in position:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Hanamizuki/3532/206-4.JPG

http://www02.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/sa2/kazu1958/graphics/333.jpg
http://www02.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/sa2/kazu1958/graphics/000.jpg

Here is an image of traditional Japanese wall composition:
  http://www.kino-ie.net/images/037a.jpg

Darel

John Schinnerer wrote:
> ....... snipped
>
> I'm pretty sure it's been used as armature for earthen
> plasters/cob/wattle and daub type construction, though I don't have any
> specific examples at hand.

.......snipped