Sealing a Cob: Swimming Pool & Bathtub- lime plaster

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Sep 17 20:40:38 CDT 2002

HI TO ALL- COB HOME BUILDER THERESE BERUBE DID INDEED BUILD A FULLY
ALL-COB BATHTUB AND SEALED IT WITH HEMP OIL- SEVERAL COATs

oppps caps...dang, I just can't type,

OK she has not used the tub extensively but does claim it seals the clay.

Isimply don't think it is wise to force clay to act as a swimming pool.
 However, if you built a cob pool or tub why not line it with a pure
lime plaster, with marble dust in the top coating? the lime will protect
the clay and may serve as a perfect natural finish if you don't want it
to last for 30 years..it MIGHT last that long...but  considering cement
is mostly lime anyway...finding a hydraulic hydrated lime may serve the
same purpose...seal and protect from water intrusion.

I just bought 4 gallons of hemp oil myself to use on protecting my fiber
crete and Slate-crete stepping stones over this winter...it rains a lot
here, so it may provide the added moisture barrier I want on these
outdoor materials.  My fibercrete is lime-clay-sawdust..I never use
cement..all the steps I pours have held up well with out any barrier,
but do get a bit spongy after a lot of  rain.

Since hemp oil was used to protect ship's wood:masts, rails, decking,
sail cloth, etc it should also serve as  outdoor home deck
protection..am going to test that out too..geee I do a lot of testing eh?

BTW I posted my results using a Chinese recipe Lime:paper plaster . in
the last ONline newsletter ( view at http://www.papercrete.com)   Placed
it on the greenboard walls in my bathroom, and it absolutely
wonderful...best part, besides the moisture balance, is that almost any
texture can be done to avoid the FLAT featureless wall syndrome( found
in most conventional homes).  SO if anyone is feeling brave..try a
lime:shredded paper plaster, and sculpt a rich curvy wall with it!
 costs almost nothing, and is fun to do...

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com <<< web links and free newsletter
PO Box 375, Eureka  CA 95534
books at dirtcheapbuilder.com