Sealing a Cob: Swimming Pool & Bathtub- lime plaster

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Sep 18 00:40:28 CDT 2002

Charmaine,
  Is the Chinese recipe you mentioned for lime/paper an ancient one.  I
am only asking because the old way of making paper produced a paper
different from modern paper in terms of content and fiber lengths.  This
might not be an issue, but I think they used to use bamboo, mulberry
trees and hemp fiber to make the paper, which was durable.

  Japanese, in Kyoto anyway, also used a slaked lime with pulped
japanese paper (washi) for a finish on walls.  I'll get the recipe for
you.

  Article in English about Japanese paper for those interested:
      http://www.legionpaper.com/features/japanese.htm

  Another good article about paper:
http://www.vitan-papier.de/e_funk2A.htm

It would be interesting to test using natural fibers verus what comes in
modern paper, bleached and chemical versus non-bleached and no
chemicals.   I realize the point for some is to use up waste paper, but
for some applications using natural fibers might be required.   Knowing
how to make or get these fibers would be important.  What have you seen
in this area of just using fibers in a fiber-crete versus papercrete?

Darel