Cob: Cob Swimming Pool & Bathtub??

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Sep 17 22:03:37 CDT 2002

While not a swimming pool, though probably more useful is a pond.
Aquaculture, fish, etc. can be had.  Maybe you could swim in it, after
its settled down.  Here's just some ideas for you.

An interesting thing is that you should be able to build a pond out of
cob, if the soil of the cob has sufficient clay content, without any oil
treatments.  In old times ponds were made by putting down a layer of
clay to line the area to be the pond.  Some recommend animal dung be
added to this as some did for dams, as it ferments and creates a
waterproof type material.   The clay if it is always wet will stay bound
together and help keep the water in the pond from leaking out.  If the
pond loses water and dries however, cracks will arise that will not hold
water.   I saw this when looking through pond information a while back.

Here is an interesting article about ponds, repairing them.  Look at the
sections entitled:
"Clay", "Bentonite", "Gley" and "Livestock".

Darel