Cob: Re: Making a cob bench for outdoor use

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Sep 19 00:35:23 CDT 2002

Myra Bonhage-Hale wrote:

> I hope I am not changing the subject incorrectly.  I am new to this list
> service, so please correct me if I am replying in the wrong way.
>
> I am working with some West Virginia like minded folks who want to build cob
> buildings.  We have arranged to have a workshop at my farm on Saturday,
> October 5th.  We hope to build an outside cob bench.  In order to do this, I
> have to prepare the site, and have  a roof over the bench area before
> October 5th.  I had thought of rammed earth tires - but quickly gave that up
> when I saw how labor intensive it would be ..........

Rammed earth tires are not as labor intensive as it seems.

>  So I am thinking of putting in cinder blocks for the one foot foundation of the
> bench (which will be about 4-5 feet wide and 2 feet deep with a back about
> 14 inches high.)

I think the rammed earth tires would be, just as good and I don't think
it'd involve more or much more labor than concrete blocks.

> and then building the next foot of foundation above ground
> with rocks from the property concreted together.  Does this sound reasonable
> for a bench?

Where does the cob come in?  You are talking about a dioxin causing
concrete bench, it seems to me.  A lot of us would like to use natural
materials.

> Also, the roof will be held up by four 6-6's , 7 feet high in front, 6 feet
> high in back and covered with left over used steel roofing I have in a shed.
> I thought that it would be 1 foot wider on each end than the bench and 1-l/2
> feet longer than the depth of the bench. on the front and back.  I also
> wondered if I would be wise to put a canvas awning down the back of the
> bench from the roof as the winds are from the west in that location.

You know the location best.  What's the bench for.  Is the wind too
strong?  Does it blow rain in.  Design for what you need.  You may not
even need a roof that large.

> And I need more advice.  I am thinking of having a Cob Cottage workshop here
> with Becky Bee in late April.  We would be building a small apprentice house
> above the Big Garden.
Don't know the Big Garden, but that sounds like a good idea to have a
person with experience to come out there.

> I need to put in the foundation for the Apprentice
> House before winter.  The area will be elliptical - about 12 feet wide and
> 20 feet long.  I intend to put up a 2 foot foundation in the ground and 1
> foot above ground. I have two questions:
> 1)  As the ground is now quite dry from drought, would it be feasible to
> have someone roto-till the foundation site to loosen the soil and then dig
> it out?
Even roto-tilling a hard dried packed soil is hard.  How about watering
it down a little for a few days and then dig the foundation or if you
have access to other equipment use it.

> or
> would it be better to get a ditch witch or a back hoe (could be difficult
> because of narrow paths to site (through the big garden - see web site below
> for pictures under Photo Journey) to do this job?  The site will be where
> the vegetable garden behind the picket fence is now.  The drainage ditch
> could also be worked up in this way.
> 2)  Would cinder blocks below ground be OK to use (because of time and
> weather constraints) and then just put the rock and concrete foundation
> above ground?
Rock and concrete cab be below ground to, why buy cinder blocks?

> I hope I have not asked too many questions.  You all sound like very helpful
> people from the emails I have been reading, and I hope you can help me.
> Namaste.  Myra
> Visit me on the web at www.lapaixherbaljourney.com
> and www.sustainabledevelopmentforwv.com
> -----

I wish the best of you for you projects.  Keep asking questions.  I'm
sure a lot of people here will have more information for you.

Try thinking about using a little or no concrete as possible and instead
some more human friendly materials such as lime mortars and earthen
plasters.

Darel