Cob: Re: Making a cob bench for outdoor use

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 19 08:32:29 CDT 2002

I'd like more details on any workshops you plan.  You may be almost not too
far away for me.

The re-tiring guys
http://www.tirecrafting.com/02retiring/02retiring_farbers.htm
mention a different way to put in retaining walls.  Cut one sidewall off,
and then fill and tamp.  I would guess the lowest ones could have pretty
coarse gravel for drainage. Then go up one level--or two--above ground with
pretty well pounded in--nice cherty clay is what I'm planning--to provide a
foundation.  This has the advantage that you could squish the tires together
a bit to eliminate the gaps caused by putting circles together.

I'm no good at putting in concrete blocks, but in general someone who's OK
with them would take far less time than the 1/2 hour or so to stuff and
pound dirt into a tire, even allowing for cubic footage.  Especially because
it's easier to find someone with block experience than filling tire
experience.

Myra Bonhage-Hale wrote (Darel Henman responded)  Heavily snipped:

 > I am working with some West Virginia like minded folks who want to build
cob
 > buildings.  We have arranged to have a workshop at my farm on Saturday,
 > October 5th.

>I had thought of rammed earth tires - but quickly gave that up
 > when I saw how labor intensive it would be ..........

Rammed earth tires are not as labor intensive as it seems.
I think the rammed earth tires would be, just as good and I don't think
it'd involve more or much more labor than concrete blocks.

Rock and concrete cab be below ground to, why buy cinder blocks?
I wish the best of you for you projects.  Keep asking questions.  I'm
sure a lot of people here will have more information for you.
Try thinking about using a little or no concrete as possible and instead
some more human friendly materials such as lime mortars and earthen
plasters.