Cob: moldy straw

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Oct 2 03:05:05 CDT 2002

Jennifer,
  mold will grown on anything. I have a picture here I took a few weeks
ago of a three to four story concrete building with mold all over it.
Also have a concrete fence with green moss and black mold on it.  Would
you like to see them?

jenniferponder at earthlink.net wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm seriously allergic to mold.  Small amounts can make my throat and
> tounge swell.

> I've mentioned to the group before that I was concerned
> about cob and mold, I know that I need to test a cob building for my
> sensitivities before settling on this building technique.
Buildings I saw had no problem.  But, mold can be a problem anywhere.
Even on the grout in tiled bathrooms.

I've read from good sources that since cob building breath and moderate
humidity they perform better and are not as conduce to growing mold.
If you have an area constantly wet, however I think mold would grow on
it, like anywhere else.

> Since I
> won't be able to travel to visit any cob buildings anytime in the near
> and slightly distant future, I thought my next best bet would be to
> try out the ingredients.  My main concern is with the straw.
Good idea.

Another idea, you might even have somebody cut and ferment, then wash
your straw, then there'd be less likelyhood of it having any nutrients
in it for mold.

If you cover it over with an alkalai (lime mortar) mold would be even
less likely I believe.  Unless they like an high pH environment.

> Even when it has been properly harvested and maintained and doesn't contain
> levels of mold detectable to most, I could possibly still be allergic
> to normal levels of mold that exisit on the straw.  For example, I
> cannot tollerate foods which contain levels of mold...no cheese,
> overly ripe fruit, bread that is more than 3 days old...
>
> So I would like to ask the advice of the group...first does anyone
> know if certain types of straw might be less moldy.
The less nutrients in the straw the less mold would form on it in my
opinion.

> Does anyone who currently lives in a cob house have any insight into this issue?
I've only been in elegant mud walled tea houses.  Didn't see any
problem.
> How do I go about obtaining samples of straw for tollerance testing?

Don't know.
> I don't even know how to go about purchasing small quanties or finding
> where to purchase them.
Search in your area.    There should be something.   Also consider the
type of straw.
I'm in an area where rice straw is plenty, so its sworn to be the best.
Of the rice the sweet rice straw is the best.  But, maybe other kinds of
straw are fine, if you can get them soft enough to work with.

> Will take any advice I can get on the matter....Also, I think that
> composting toilets are out for me..
Based on what do you make this decision?

>can anyone give me info that might
> let be believe otherwise...I like the idea of composting toilets...I
> want to visit one...but will have to figure out how to find one close
> by...
>
> Thanks,
> Jennifer

Darel