Cob: RE: comments on more than one thread.

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Fri Oct 4 13:15:16 CDT 2002

 Well trying to wrap up some work on a friday afternoon, wanted to make
 a few comments.

 1.) Nader's idea on the emergency housing idea was to include rolls of bags as they did plan drops
     of things like food, medicine, clothing etc.

 2.) Just a thought on that idea. Living in a refuge camp is more than likely, at some point a depressing,
     perhaps even hopeless expereince. Perhaps taking the time to build a structure could reduce that as
     the working with other folks and the physical activity would help relieve some of the stress etc
     that would be accumulating due to the experience.

 3.) The bags in superadobe / earth bag can be made from most any material. Nader's are polypropalyne (sp?)
     You can use other material. The thing to remember is that the bags are really acting like forms. They
     can be peeled away latter, if you so choose. Nader felt they were faster than cob because you can go
     up as high as you want in a single day. I have never felt limited by cob because by the time I made my
     way around the perimeter of the building, a full day had passed. In addition, it took longer to plaster
     over the bags, then it did to put a lime plaster over my cob walls, so some of the time advantage it had
     in the beginning, was lost in the latter stage of the full process.

 4.) In general I like cob, but then my nick name as a boy was pig pen.

  Have a great weekend everyone.

  Love  and Light
  Pat
  www.gypsyfarm.com