Cob: suggestions??

Aile Eagle Bear ailebear at gorge.net
Wed Oct 2 09:43:03 CDT 2002

Good morning,
    I have spent a great deal of time reading and listening to the wisdom and knowlegd her.  Now it is time to get muddy.... so I seek advice from any of you.    I have an old small wood stove.. all joints are cracked and not repairable... so yesterday... I began process of enclosing this wood stove in cob oven type... as I wish to use it in green house...and I need to do something to show some folks where I live... so they get the idea.
    Ok...so what I have done... this wood stove is 24" from wood wall... wood wall is lined with lava rock...which I have an over abundance of... and all this has been filled in with cob material...minus straw...as no load bearing needed  (I have a natural good sand/clay soil mix where I live  so have merely added some lime to soil and added water...mixed and shaped....)  I have a short pipe with draft control... and plan to place cob around this three feet of pipe...then form rest of pipe with cob... also I thought I would try and place a small oven on top of wood stove making it duel purpose.  The only thing that will be open when I am done... is front door of this old wood stove.
    Now I admit... I don't know squat here... but this is a good test run for me... and as I said... will allow me to show some folks here what I have been talking about for months...regarding cob building.
    I thought about putting bricks on top of wood stove... and my one concern is the top of wood stove also has joint problems.. so wondered about putting a layer of cob down???  If so, how thick?  I would be grateful for any and all input... things I may have not taken into consideration... thanks.
                 Respectfully,
                       Aile
            Nake nula waun yelo/ksto
"Better to die on one's feet  than live on one's knees"