Cob: cob domes

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Oct 3 03:20:11 CDT 2002

Ben,
  I've seen a structure similar to what you're describing in a mason's
magazine last month.  The structure actually used an existing tree for a
center pillar and then curved branced into a central area.  The rest was
a good daubing.  They did a few artistic finger drawings inside, but it
was basically a simple daub structure.

  What they did for rain protection was.  To stick into a thick outside
mud daub, (what's the proper word?? I forgot for ) sliced thinnish wood
shingles.  When they were done the outside looked like a porcupine.
After it dried they hosed water of it to test it and it held or showed
them where to plug.  I haven't read it yet, just looked at the pictures.

  It was a simple structure with no windows.  I think they left the
center open for smoke to get out, but it did have a top up over it to
keep rain from falling in.

Darel