Cob: Bermed cob??

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 4 20:21:09 CDT 2002

I think it's a mailing list.

Think great big stemwall--double concrete block or stone, or urbanite or
something, well waterproofed.  Evans et al has a good section on drainage.
Pay attention. to it.

I'm in the same position--age, retirement status, not, however, profession.
My first buildings need to include a guest house and a shed for the tractor.

Dorethy wrote (snipped):

Since I plan to berm the house on the north, I don't think that side can be
cob.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that will be too much moisture, too
close.
I believe that the answer may lie in rammed tires on the north and curving
around partway on the west and east sides.  Does anyone have an idea whether
there will be interface problems between this and the cob of the remainder
of the building?

Incidentally, by spring I'll be 60, I've retired early from being a
reference librarian, to do something else while I'm still young enough,
and  I hope to do this building myself, with a LOT of help from my
friends!