Cob: questions- CCAT bicycles

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Oct 5 19:49:26 CDT 2002

Hi all, I've been to the CCT house on HSU campus, started 25 years ago
by  students, and still going with new students running it each term.

They do have bicycles i the basement area for pedal power on charging
the VCR, but not used much I think. ALso have a wringer washer powered
by a bike, BUT in a recent article the students said it took fully half
a day to do a load or two this way. Bikes are not idea for all areas,
laundry is one of them..far better to let the clothes soak in a black
tub with lid, getting them hot i soapy water, hand wash and rinse, hang out.

As far as bikes on the TV vcr power I did not see much evidence of it
being used, as you are peddling while you are watching...and not too
many folks want to be indoor and sitting on a bike seat for 2 hours of a
movie.

The neat thing they do have is a green house that vents into open
windows into the living area to warm it in winter, they have a wood
stove, a cool box in the kitchen, etc. and composting toilets of course.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632