Cob: Inspectors

John Fordice otherfish at attbi.com
Thu Oct 10 17:46:15 CDT 2002

oddjay,

Here is an article by David Eisenberg of DCAT.
It's a bit longish, but lays out strategies for you to accomplish what
you need with your inspector.
It's from the DCAT site which is filled with good info re building code
issues & lots of other good sustainable building stuff too.
Their site link is:
http://www.dcat.net/about_dcat/current/codes.php#

Good luck & keep the list informed about your progress.
If you can make this happen, you will be pioneering into vital territory.

john fordice
The Cob Code Project

Here's the article:

                              Checklist for Gaining Approval for
Alternative Designs, Materials and Methods of
                              Construction

                              Planning and Preparing for the Approval Process

                              Start early. The first rule is to
recognize that getting approval is a process.
                              Identify as many of the non-standard
aspects of the project as early as
                              possible, giving yourself and the building
department a long lead time to
                              address these. No one, building officials
included, likes to be hurried or
                              pressured. Your perfectly innocent sense
of urgency may be interpreted as a
                              suspect need for rushed approvals. They
will need time to digest and respond
                              to the material you present in support of
the alternatives you are proposing;
                              expect a number of exchanges as questions
or concerns are raised.

                              Gather information about the jurisdiction
and applicable codes. Learn what you
                              can about the jurisdiction in which the
project is located. Familiarize yourself
                              with local permit process requirements and
the current codes and standards
                              that will apply to your project, including
the sections related to the alternative
                              approaches that will be included in the
project.

                              Gather information about the specific
alternatives. Identify potential areas of
                              concern for each alternative being
proposed and then research and collect
                              relevant information. Try to obtain the
best reference materials -- technical
                              reports, test results, books,
authoritative publications, videos and
                              documentation of the successful use (and
approval) of the alternative in other
                              places. Look for both historic and recent
precedents for their use and approval.
                              Supporting material should be as
regionally, climatically, seismically, or
                              generally similar to the local
circumstances as possible. It is not uncommon for
                              building officials to discount supporting
information if it is from regions with
                              significantly different conditions.

                              Find and enlist the help of allies and
sources of expertise. Seek out and, when
                              necessary, engage knowledgeable experts
and resource people, including
                              sympathetic code officials, to support
your position. Use networking to find
                              others who have previously gone through an
approval process for the
                              alternatives you are proposing. The
Internet and e-mail discussion groups can
                              be a big help here. Involving people with
the right expertise or prior experience
                              in addressing anticipated problem areas
can help you develop the rationale for
                              what you are proposing, often shortening
the approval process.

                              Engaging with the Building or Planning
Department

                              Take the high road. Before your first
interaction with the building department,
                              remember that attitude accounts for a lot
-- if you begin the process expecting
                              a fight, you will most likely find one.
Start instead with the idea that you share
                              common goals. Consider the building
department to be a resource, rather than
                              an adversary. By openly acknowledging the
extra effort required to deal with
                              alternatives, and the time constraints and
responsibilities building officials face,
                              you will demonstrate an appreciation for
their process. Maintain a cooperative,
                              open-minded and positive attitude,
acknowledging also that they have the
                              authority to approve alternatives that
meet the intent of the code.

                              Pay attention to the relationships. Since
this is partly a process of creating trust,
                              both in your design or approach and in
your willingness to meet the intent of
                              the code, having a good relationship with
the building department can be a big
                              help. Lacking such a relationship does not
doom the effort to failure, but it
                              certainly can lengthen the process. If
there is some bad history, a liaison with a
                              good working relationship with the
department can help. When there are
                              disputes, respectfully stand your ground
while giving careful consideration to
                              the building official's point of view. If
changing the system is part of your goal,
                              remember that being a pioneer includes a
level of responsibility for those who
                              may follow; try not to make their path
even more difficult.

                              Meet and share information with the
building officials. When the project is well
                              enough defined to discuss it, arrange an
initial meeting to informally discuss the
                              project and proposed alternatives. Try to
include the decision makers and any
                              sympathetic officials or inspectors you
may have identified. Bring copies of your
                              resource materials to leave with the code
officials. Allow enough time for them
                              to read and absorb what you have provided.
Actually purchasing resource
                              materials for the building department,
rather than lending them, is a relatively
                              small investment that demonstrates the
seriousness of your commitment and
                              your expectation of a successful outcome.
These materials may streamline
                              future permit applications and may also
create sustainability or alternative
                              material advocates within the department.

                              Get specific feedback from the building
official. Expect questions, objections,
                              and issues to be raised about the proposed
alternatives, both during (or
                              following) the initial meeting and again
when the plans are submitted for
                              approval. Always try to get these in
writing. When not possible, such as in a
                              meeting, attempt to list or restate their
concerns and objections to verify your
                              understanding of them. This makes it much
easier for you to be responsive to
                              your building officials' concerns. Follow
meetings with a letter describing your
                              understanding of what was discussed and
agreed upon and asking for
                              acknowledgment.

                              Resolving Conflicts and Specific Issues

                              Address concerns and objections with
reasonable and factual responses. This is
                              often a repeat of the initial steps to
provide information, with a progressively
                              narrower focus on specific issues.
Demonstrate that you understand and
                              respect both the merits and limitations of
the proposed alternative, and that
                              what you plan to do is safe, reasonable,
and meets the intent of the code. This
                              is an area where the influence of another
code official familiar with the
                              proposed alternative -- and supportive of
it -- can be of enormous benefit.
                              Sometimes it will be necessary to involve
an engineer or other design
                              professional at this stage to provide
needed support for your position.

                              Network with others who have had similar
experiences. When specific
                              objections are not satisfied by the
information that you have gathered and
                              supplied to the building department, there
are often lessons to be learned from
                              the experiences of others who have gone
through the process before. Whether
                              through the Internet or other avenues,
seek out the knowledgeable
                              organizations, groups and individuals and
study their successful approaches.
                              The most valuable of these are often the
experienced building officials who
                              have approved and worked with the
materials or methods in question, or who
                              are open-minded and receptive to
alternatives.

                              Show perseverance and patience. One of the
ways to demonstrate that you are
                              serious, that you're in it for the long
haul, is through persistence. There is a fine
                              line between perseverance and pestering.
However, when you believe that what
                              you are proposing to do is appropriate and
meets the intent of the code, you
                              should be able to pursue approval through
all the legal means are available to
                              you. It is often important for the
building department to understand that you will
                              not be easily discouraged. It can be
useful to have others who are
                              contemplating doing what you are proposing
to make inquiries at the building
                              department about the alternatives you are
proposing, so that the building
                              department knows that you are not alone in
your interest.

                              Closing Strategies

                              Pursue your remaining options. If you
don't get cooperation or can't get the
                              approvals you seek, there are several
options to choose from.

                                           Hold-harmless legal
document(s). A strategy that has sometimes been
                                           effective is to offer the
jurisdiction a letter or legal document, which
                                           holds them harmless and
absolves them from all responsibility for the
                                           alternative materials and
methods used. This approach has sometimes
                                           been used in conjunction with
the issuance of an "experimental permit"
                                           whereby the jurisdiction
maintains the right to inspect the structure at
                                           specified intervals over a
period of years, to learn about the viability of
                                           an alternative approach
without setting an open-ended precedent for
                                           approving the alternative.
                                           Reminder of registered
architect's or licensed engineer's assumed
                                           responsibility. In projects
where an architect or an engineer has
                                           stamped the plans, the
argument can be raised that they have already
                                           taken legal responsibility
for the design when they placed their
                                           professional seal on the
plans. This is a fact that is often ignored by
                                           building departments. When
the building department demands a change
                                           in the design, it might be
putting responsibility for the changed design on
                                           the jurisdiction, since it,
rather than the design professional, is
                                           determining how the building
is to be built.
                                           The local appeals process. At
the request of any denied applicant, the
                                           codes provide for an appeal
process in which the building department
                                           must convene an appeals board
meeting. A selected group of local or
                                           regional building
professionals hears the applicant's request and
                                           supportive testimony, as well
as that from the building department, and
                                           makes a ruling on whether to
back or overrule the decision of the
                                           building official.
Occasionally, building officials will request this process
                                           and join the applicant in
support of the alternative in order to set a
                                           precedent and have wider
backing for the decision. If, at any time, your
                                           application or appeal is
referred to a higher level of code authority, be
                                           certain that your information
resources and documentation is also
                                           provided to ensure that the
case you made at the local level is also
                                           made at the higher level.
                                           Political pressure. As a last
resort, political pressure can be applied
                                           either through the
jurisdiction's elected officials or through media
                                           attention with a story in the
paper or on television or radio. Because
                                           these are public policy
issues involving public agencies, they are
                                           inherently political
processes. Publicity and political pressure can be
                                           effective tools to gain your
immediate goals, sometimes even long-term
                                           change, but they should be
pursued very carefully, because they can
                                           also result in lingering
resentment and long-term resistance.
                                           Celebrate and offer thanks
and share what you have learned. If your
                                           efforts are rewarded by
success be sure to celebrate! But also take the
                                           time to acknowledge and thank
the building department and any
                                           cooperative officials. This
paves the way for more success in the future.
                                           And finally, if you were
helped by others, let them know about your
                                           success and if you are able,
be willing to share the lessons you learned
                                           with others.