Cob: insulation idea

jen walker jwalker at magma.ca
Sat Oct 12 04:04:05 CDT 2002

Hello again cob folk,
So I'm gathering as much info as I can, hoping for assurance that a cob
cottage could fly in West Quebec where it can sometimes be -40 celcius (but
generally -20 celcius) in the (usually very sunny) winter.
So far I've figured out that the following could help us along... As much
passive solar design as possible, less windows on the north and west sides
and the addition of a slip-straw mix to either the whole building or at
least the north and west sides. Also lots of inside cob to retain warmth in
the house. I was thinking of a lime based plaster to protect the place from
drifting, melting snow against the house (also wondering if snow would help
insulate).
My idea is what if an inside cob wall was built parallel to the north/west
wall area (like a panel). There would probably have to be breaks in it for
windows. Anyhow, perhaps the gap between the walls that would be created
could be stuffed with straw, fleece or whatever just for the winter then
removed in spring and a fresh lot of dry material inserted the following
cold season. The gaps could be closed somehow at each end (even with
cardboard) to prevent dust perhaps. Is this crazy, would it make a
worthwhile enough difference?
I'd really appreciate any comments on this plan that could improve it or
pointers where we may be going wrong.

Thanks,
Jen Walker & family