Cob: winter work on wattle and daub by a neophyte

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Oct 15 23:28:07 CDT 2002

Ruth,

you said you have a frost comming.  Cob or daub will not cure/dry
properly, to my knowledge in spells with
freezing temperatures.   This is one reason it takes longer to build
using it.  The application of the material should be done in a period
that gives it sufficient time to dry and cure without freezing.  The
physical propertes, especially the water molecules will expand during
the freezing speels.  That's on reason for the cob / daub to be well dry
by the time you get into the freezing season.

Bad timing.  If you want good cob or daub wall wait till proper weather
arrives.  This means you will probably have to do something temperary to
get you through, to keep the heat in your place.  You might want to
concentrate on one room and use door coverings or curtains to keep heat
in rooms.  Every little bit would help.

Ruth Datooth wrote:

> ..... our first frost comes on monday, i hear..............
>
> what i've got in mind is to put up wattle and daub walls, double
> layer, with insuation in between.

I would recommend putting the insulation on the outside.

Darel