Cob: lime choices

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Oct 12 19:30:40 CDT 2002

Hi Myra, it may be that over time  gardeners have gone away from
hydrated lime ( due to expense- Ag lime is cheaper- and lack of info) so
you may still not get technically accurate rationale...but if being
certified means not using hydrated lime then you are compelled to follow
the rules.

When I spoke with NLA expert Harry Francis a few years back he provided
information  and anecdotal stories on farmer's being turned from
hydrated use by the  processors who just wanted to dump  their crushed
limestone onto the market..it cost them nothing as they was no
processing...and eventually farmers chose the $2. a bag stuff inert, vs
the neutralizing hydrated lime at $6-7. a bag ( these are current
pricing, not 1940s)

I have a handbook from 1923 that discusses in detail the application of
Ag lime  vs Hydrated..and why hydrated works with the soil better..

And ( trying to relate to building here ) Same goes for  building code
restrictions..codes were originally made to protect home owners from
shoddy workmanship...but over time are so "codified" they actually go
against the poor owner builder trying to build a decent home

I'll be interested to learn what the OrgGarden folks have to say.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Eureka  CA 95534
books at dirtcheapbuilder.com