Cob: wattle and daub over timbers?

Ruth Datooth aasuter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 14 20:12:30 CDT 2002

heya folks,
thanks for all your suggestions, info, and discussion related to lime, lime
putty, lime plaster, hydrated lime....

helpful.  i'll stop by feedstore, get some hydrated lime, and get it
soaking.

another question (s):
do i have to leave the timbers showing on wattle and daub?
why is it that the european and japanese wattle and daub buildings that i
have seen photos of have the timbers showing?  is it functional or cosmetic?
i'm worried about water getting in between the timber and the wattle and
daub, is there any reason not to just wattle and daub on over the timbers?

i'm sure the answers to all these and my many more questions are available
in books.......which i will read once i have a warm cozy place to read.  at
present, i have about 5 minutes by flashlight in my sleeping bag before i
fall asleep.  under outrageous stars and a waxing moon!

thanks again for all your help,
anna