Cob: how to clean oil barrels?

toswink toswink at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 23 00:08:00 CDT 2002

Dawn detergent is used to remove oil in drums.

 Then pour remains into open container and place away from fire prone areas
and let the sun dry out the waste. It returns to powder that is then very
easy to clean up.

Note to adovid useing too much water etc Just add more detergent and pour
from first barrel to second one etc.

Due not use hot water,dilute the detergent half and half with water into
barrel. Let it stand for one hour or less and scrub sides with stick ,broom
etc.

Dawn was used in Alaska to clean up birds,rocks etc.

I had to use harzard chemicals and now dieing from liver failure from viral
infection. What we did with paints and solvents etc were to put in exspoded
where there was no way that fans would draw into buildings the fumes. Also
to stop fires is simple place large lid over container. If you use cloth
rags put them into water and overnight then hang them to dry out.

Use rubber gloves. Advoid oil 55gallon drums and get those that had
contained food, such as honey butter ones with neat liners inside which are
easy to cleaned or removed. NEver try to cut off hot torch. Untill there is
no fumes left in barrel.

Sawdust is best to absorb spilt oils etc. If you soak them in water and let
it dry out in the sun as above it will be easy to handle later. Fire pits
cost only 150 dollars by back hole operator. It is imporaant that you line
the pit and put screen cover. Underground fires are a pill to stop. I KNOW.

.