Cob: Pier system in Clay soil

sarah kercheval hi_eagle at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 29 12:24:00 CST 2002

I need help with devoloping a peir system for a 28x28 foot log house with a
cob addition.  We live in Minnesota which has 4-5 foot frost line, and
really thick clay soil, which has a tendency to expand when frozen.  Had
thought about French drains or rubble trench  system  but how do I integrate
my peirs? How far do you need to go down in this climate for a rubble
foundation?
thanks
Sarah

>From: "Amanda Peck" <ap615 at hotmail.com>
>To: chansey at earthlink.net, strawbale at crest.org, coblist at deatech.com
>Subject: Re: Cob: Construction Cost
>Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:03:12 -0500
>

>Thanks. Looks useful.
>

>Paul Salas wrote (nearly all of it!):
>Just ran across an interesting site at
>http://www.archetype-design.com/costs.htm#Anchor-49425 that has cost
>variables for all types of construction methods.  Although priced for the
>Taos, NM area, the data will be very helpful for planning a budget.
>

>SANCO Enterprises, LLC
>Paul Salas, General Manager
>P.O. Box 45741
>Rio Rancho, NM  87174
>(505)  238-1485
>chansey at earthlink.net

>Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband.
>http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.