Cob: Pier system in Clay soil

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Oct 30 23:36:07 CST 2002

Sarah,
  the soil wont expand when frozen unless its wet I believe.  In this
case, you might want to consider putting an insulative water barrier
under the first two feet or so, to keep that at deeper depths from
getting wet.  Just a side issue thought for you.  You could start it
around a cob buildings base or a few fee up on the wall.  Eventually, in
a year or two, the frost line around the house will change to a shallow
area.

Darel