Cob: Real Info not puff

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Nov 5 22:27:35 CST 2002

Darrel, this is exactly the kind of posting we don't need on the coblist,
because of it's confrontational tone, and frankly it doesn't matter what
the credentials are, the message was about a book signing.  As far as your
questions, I'm going to answer them if for no other reason than to put an
end to this before it starts another online argument.

Consider this to be the end of this discussion topic, the subject is cob,
not certifications, any further discussion should be done privately
and kept off the list.

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Darel Henman wrote:

> Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson wrote:
> > Ianto Evans of Cob Cottage Company is an applied ecologist,
> So are most of us.
>

> > landscape architect
> ditto there for most of us as well.  Or are you saying that's he's been
> certified by a professional organization? If so, please supply the
> certifying organization's name to us.

He has a university degree in landscape architecture, don't remember which
university, only that it is in England.  I think PhD, but not sure.

> > and pioneer in earth structures (cob)
> Cob is an ancient building technique.

While cob is an ancient technique, Ianto and Cob Cottage Company have
developed a number of approaches/refinements that do not follow the
traditional techniques (no I am not going into specifics here, you can
read and compare their books with information written on the traditional
techniques if it is that important to you).  Whether or not they are
original, no one could say, but their work has definitely been a
significant contribution to advancing the use of earthen structures in the
more developed parts of the world, as well as introducing various
techniques to less developed areas where they had not been used before,
or where they are a significant improvement over the traditional local
techniques.  This reasonably meets the definition of pioneering.
There is more I could say on this, but I lack the time.

> > with building experience on six continents.
> If this experience you mention is relevant to the group please be
> specific and give us information about this experience and the
> buildings, such as the address of each of all of the buildings on these
> SIX continents.  Pictures would be nice.  Would just love to see them.

For pictures of some of the projects he has worked on in the USA and
Canada (and possibly Mexico and other areas), see the Cob Cottage Company
web site:

   http://www.deatech.com/cobcottage/

(he worked on most of the modern/recent structures shown) as far as
addresses, many do not have addresses, and even those that do certainly do
not owe it to anyone to have their addresses published on the internet
(one person who simply had their name and City posted along with a picture
of a cob house began getting all sorts of phone calls about it so I had to
remove all identity and location information from the web site).  As far
as construction on the other continents goes, I have seen slides of his
work and travels, scattered throughout the world (at least 5 continents
that I can remember), you can take my word for it or not, I doubt he
has the time to pull the slides to be scanned, and I still have about
sixty pictures from a year ago that I haven't had time to post to the web
site.